F.A.M.I.L.Y. Rules / Positive Parenting with a Plan was developed by Dr. Matthew Johnson, a licensed psychologist in Oregon.
Dr. Johnson’s book has some excellent tools for parenting teens and developing family rules in your household. We will feature more from his book soon, but here is some quick ideas to get you on your way.
The Seven Cardinal Sins of Teen Parenting :
1. Talking Too Much (nagging, lecturing, etc)
2. Tirades and Temper Tantrums
3. Tears (sadness and guilt trips)
4. Terror (threats of violence)
5. Inconsistency (within and between parents)
6. Disagreeing About Discipline in front of Children
7. Treating your Children like they are Slaves (lack of reciprocity)
Some sample family rules (very abbreviated) :
Treat people and animals with respect
“No!” means “No!” Don’t ask again
You must receive parental permission before you go anywhere at anytime
No swearing or talking about inappropriate subject matter
Be on time
Setting curfews (more flexible on weekends)
Complete all daily and weekly chores on time
Family Rules is an excellent resource for parenting teens for under $30.00. Well worth it!!!